My Blog List

Monday, September 27, 2010

Wednesday, 9/27/10. Text as texture crit.

Updated with Frame. I decided to add a frame to separate my piece from the wall. I also decided to give it an open top, so I could preserve the piece's feel of outward growth. I also separated the edges of the frame so that it's diagonals could be seen, which I feel also enhances the piece's outward growth (instead of limit it, which I was afraid a frame might do)
In the critique of my piece it was said that there was no negative but only positive conflict in my piece. This conflict was the contrast between the white magazine paper and the brown newspaper, as well as the difference between the straight lines of text belonging to the radial pattern and the more chaotic pattern on the magazine print part of the piece. They said that my piece was very harmonious and almost hypnotizing with the way everything sort of flowed out from the small dot. They also liked the gradual change in elevation of the white pattern. There was continuance created by the radial flow and branching out of the main design. There was also proximity because the dot from which the radial pattern comes out feels distant from the other dots, in a good way. The use of white magazine created the separation and similarity of the two colors and patterns of text. Closure also existed, they said, because one person saw a gnarled tree in the picture, and another saw antlers..they said all of this strengthened the work. They loved the selection of dots and how the newsprint in them moved against the grain of the other newsprint. They said this made it distinct and more interesting to them, and that they couldn't think of a better way to do it. With the materials, again they liked the contrast created by using two different types of paper. They thought that I selected the best piece from my accordion book to implement, and that I even improved upon it. They said that the edges of my square could have been a bit neater, and that the newspaper seemed rough on it, it was suggested that I could have curled the strips around the edges to make them seem smoother.  They liked the flat presentation of it on the wall. They said a frame would have disrupted the outward flow of the piece, and that raising it off of the wall would detract from my 3d pieces. Personally, i am not sure about this, but cannot decide on a proper frame. My accordion book had a good variety of textures that were all interesting to them, and the pieces all seemed well selected and presented. The space between them helped distinguish each piece, as did the arrangement of the pieces. They said the craftsmanship of my book was good and they liked how I did the binding, which appeared seamless. A couple of my pieces had peeled up a bit, so I need to re-secure them.

No comments:

Post a Comment