My Blog List

Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday, 9/17/10 Cardboard Organic Project: Critique

My group described my piece as really appropriate, and much more on the representative/realistic side than stylized. They said there weren't any distractions, but there was one to me. In moving the piece around, the seams that join the needle bits became weaker and somewhat annoyingly bowed in (against it's curvature). This annoyed me a little...but I guess there wasn't much I could do about it. I suppose I could have made the piece smaller so it would have been less floppy and self-damaging...but then I would have lost the grand scale, and in recreating such a simple object, I felt the size was necessary. I also wish that I could have made the connections between needle bits more seamless, because you can notice the sections if you look at it. The rest of the critique was very encouraging, they liked the scratchy and rough detail on the pod part and how the needles came out of it, which made the two sections look very well integrated. They also said the ribs in the needles were great because it made the piece much more interesting to look at than simple, flat strips of cardboard. The points on the end were a nice touch, they said, because it made the piece look even longer and "needley". On a side note, I was bummed about the presentation of my piece, it's length made it difficult to find placement, and it's small diameter didn't allow it to stick out. I originally tried hanging it with fishing line between shelfs in the back, but after hanging it I decided the piece didn't look good...it ended up being obscured and too long to see both the tip and end well. I probably did most of the damage to the piece in the process of trying to hang it =/   ...maybe I could have tied it to one of the yellow electrical cords hanging from the ceiling to raise it up a bit, but even then I think it have looked more like a dead fish-creature than a pine needle.

No comments:

Post a Comment