My Blog List

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Thursday, 9/2/10. Final 4 Dots and Critique.


During class on Wednesday my group critiqued my work. They pointed out that I used mostly smaller dots in my work, and because of this the pieces had a lot of negative space. When the group tried to guess which principles my work represented, it was obvious that I had lost the message of my "closure" pieces...guess  they weren't as recognizable as I thought. Although, after the critiquing session I asked my mates if they had made out the images and they said yes, so I suspect there could have been confusion with "closure principle". Regardless, it was obvious that my work could have benefited from some touch ups. One of my proximity pieces in particular was distinguishable, but my group suggested that closer spacing would have benefited it greatly, to which I agreed. The final 4 they chose I at first liked, but a bit of contemplation on the selection soon turned into a mad and sickening obsession, the result of which was an eventual replacement of every piece. The first piece for similarity seemed to balance on closure and simplicity too much, and after some advice/criticism I scrapped it for a clearer yet still interesting image. I switched out my continuation pieces because the first used a method that wasn't original (yet I felt tactfully implemented), so it was switched out for one with a more unique approach. I felt my original closure piece was too bland, so I switched it out for the image of a pot-bellied man (not unique, but I was told different in it's implement). Finally, after trying to simply re-work my original proximity piece a few times(which didn't work out),  I replaced it with an image I had previously meant to be closure, but by rotating it, the image ceased to be recognizable and worked quite well for the purpose (although I'll have to remove one dot...I used one too many). I went through many of these phases and probably changed my "final" four at least half a dozen times...I finally decided to stick with this, thank God. ...My obsession over these dots uncomfortably reminded me of the detective that goes nuts in the  "Dark City" movie. I may yet play with the size of some dots (such as the larger dots in my similarity piece) to gain some more variety in the final composition, but that's still up in the air.

Group picked final 4 on top, My FINAL 4 below it...

1 comment: