My Blog List

Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday, 9/17/10. Lecture and Reading notes/summary


Bill's Lecture today was really interesting and informative. I immensely enjoyed him showing how modern art progressed because it made me appreciate it much more, as I can see the meaning behind it now. On top of this it made me think of the progression of other things and how much I take for granted. The reading also supplemented this lecture very well, and I will probably read it again.

These are my personal notes from the reading meant to refresh my memory:

photo
Niepce - view from window
Daguerre - shortened, first portrait
talbot – improved(paper)
Mathew Brady – civil war

impressionism
first artistic rev since renaissance. (france, born 1860)
color and light big>impression
short, choppy brush strokes
monet/manet/renoir/degas

post-impressionism (sauratF, ceszanneF, gauguin, toulouse-lautrecESCL, van goghESCL) (1880-1905)
Formal, near scientific
Emotion,sensation,color,light
cubism and surrealism grew out of.

Modern art - (France, school of paris) (no longer for patron) (after war>new york)

fauvism: exploding color, matisse, influenced by van gogh

greatist modernist sculptor – conastantic brasncusi

cubism(1908-1914), fragmented

russia broke, cubism split
-futurism> modern stuff, movement (boccioni)
-constructivism
-precisionism (in america) (blocky)

o'keeffe - american modernist

expressionism (express feelings)
Kirchner
nolde
kandinsky – non referencial first?
Klee-simplification

mondrian - geometry, not emotion, “pure” neo plasticism

No comments:

Post a Comment