My Blog List

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tuesday, 9/14/10. Square Critique

My group said that it was clear to tell the playful and periodic pieces apart. This, they said, was because the periodic one was much more symmetric than the playful piece, and the playful piece felt more dynamic. They said this distinction would hold true even if they were separated. They said my playful piece had closure, because of the boxes' cropping, as well as similarity because a few squares were similar in size. My periodic piece was said to have continuance and similarity, also because of the cropping, size, and similarity of the squares. They said I used the frame well, they liked the sense of motion that cropping gave the piece as well as the balance of positive and negative space. They thought that I could strengthen the piece by separating the 2 squares that look hollow in my playful piece. I see their point, but I like how it looks currently and I wanted it to appear like the box was resting inside the other so the piece would seem to have a balance of movement and stability, instead of just turmoil. They said that my craft improved, and that they looked good. The piece they chose to be my final composition was the playful piece. However, I really like my continuance piece from before and chose to go with it. It seems more interesting to me and I get a free flow of ideas out of it for my 'text'ure project.


No comments:

Post a Comment