My Blog List

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Modular Madness Critique


During critique, people said that they liked how I used the sheet. I, personally, think it is what made the piece noticeable. The sheet made it take up more wall-space and it was laid out in a way that would draw attention to the piece, I also made sure to put it in a part of the room that was most vacant and raise it to eye level. There were many remarks that the match bundle on the left looked like a cupcake, I'm not sure if this is good or bad. The spiral pattern in the unburnt matches made the piece more interesting, as did the texture of the top/red part, they said. They also said that there was a nice contrast between the burnt matches and the unlit ones, both visually and inherently. But, some had mixed feelings about the inclusion of two pieces, and the choice of the burnt piece. Other, however, said that there needed to be more to the piece. I played around with both ends of the spectrum prior to presentation and seem to have found the middle-ground. Most people did agree that the color choice of my rubber bands was good. The black and red ones both reinforce the gritty/burnt feeling of the bundle and relate it to the un-burnt bundle. The lighter colored rubber band on the un-burnt bundle does not stand out as much and looks clean. This is a contrast to the other rubber bands, and since it doesn't stand out as much visually it allows the viewer to focus more on the spiral design in the matches. Some people felt compelled to burn the un-lit bundle, and some did not. I wasn't sure If playing with this emotion would add or detract from the piece, so I left out part of my original presentation originally designed to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment