My Blog List

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Kathy's Lecture Assignment: Part 2 of 4 (Minimalism)

 Sol Leweitt, Cubic-modular Wall Structure, black, 1966.

The main elements in repetition seems to be line and space. For me, this piece feels almost too rigid to be harmonious, and it being black on white creates a lot of contrast. It gives me an uneasy feeling, so I would describe it as being a little more contrasty. The repetition of line and space reminds me of a cage, perhaps it is this which makes me uncomfortable.


 Sol Lewitt, Series 1-2-3, 47 3-part Variations on Three Different Kinds of cubes, 1968.

This piece has repetition of space and shape. I have to pin this in between harmony and contrast on the scale because I'm not sure how to feel about it, if there weren't empty cubes I would say harmonious, because the color and shapes would be similar and pleasing to me. However, the empty spaces make me think of a filing cabinets with drawers ripped out, and since I like to be neat, this makes me uncomfortable. The repetition of vertical shapes with varied spaces creates a similar yet different feel about the piece. I really want to fill in the gaps and make them more similar.

.
 Tony Smith, Moondog, model 1965, 1998-99.

The main element in repetition is shape (the triangles and rectangular vertical supports, and spaces between them) This piece seems harmonious to me, perhaps because is is symmetrical/neat, and my eyes play on it in a relaxed manner. The repetition of shape in this piece creates varied forms of continuation that please my eye.


Tony Smith, Wandering rocks, 1967.

The main element in this piece is also shape (triangles), but the space separating the objects and around them plays a roll as well. This piece is definitely more on the contrast side of the spectrum and is much more chaotic then the previous piece; In this one the pieces are scattered about and have less coherence. The repetition and placement of triangles in this piece gives it a very prickly feel, and the continuance created by it's jumbled and reckless triangles gives the space around the objects an unsafe aura.

No comments:

Post a Comment