My Blog List

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Kathy's Lecture Assignment: Part 3 of 4 (Post Minimalism)

 Hannah Wilke, Self Portrait, 1986.

The main elements in repetition are color and shape. The vibrance of the colors, the squiggly shape of the brush strokes, and the scattered and non-symmetric placement of those strokes (in terms of color) makes me put this piece well into the contrast part of the spectrum. The repetition of these elements makes the piece seem very in my face and energetic.


Hannah Wilke, White Plains, Yellow Rocks, 1975.

The main elements in repetition are shape, color, and texture. Even though this piece isn't entirely symmetrical, I would call it very harmonious because all of the object are very similar to each other, and the colors of off-white on white background doesn't create much contrast. There seems to be color differences between the right and left group of objects, which makes 2 shapes stand out, but this doesn't make the piece too contrasty, it just keeps it from falling into monotony. The repetition in this piece has a unifying effect to me, only the color and profile of the piece makes the two shapes distinct, all of the objects in those shapes still seem related though.

Richard Tuttle, Checker Board Series (1), 1968. The elements in repetition are mainly shape, color, and texture to a degree. This piece, to me, falls in the middle of the spectrum. The fact that it is small and close to the center of the canvas makes me group it tightly and adds to harmony. The fact that there are only 3 colors (which aren't extremely vibrant) and only 1 shape in repeating pattern also adds to the pieces harmony. I think the soft beige background also adds significantly to the harmony of the piece. However, the rough visual texture of the paint and the dissimilar edges of the grouping add to its contrast. The repetition in this piece makes it seem visually simple, yet the color choice and the non symmetrical edges of the piece make it more complex. I believe it is this struggle between simple and complex which makes the piece interesting.
Richard Tuttle, Untitled (#9), 1974. The elements in repetition are shape, and color. I think this piece is very harmonious because there is a continuation of the rectangular shape of the frame down through the inner frame and into the painting itself. I also think the softer and lighter colors of the piece, as well as the grouping of color to shape in the painting, make it more harmonious. The fact that it is all very simple also adds to this. For me the repetition of shape creates a focal direction for the piece, but the repetition of soft colors allows me to see the piece as a whole. This, for me, makes it relaxing to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment