My Blog List

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Kathy's Lecture Assignment: Part 1 of 4 (Abstract Expressionism)

 Robert Motherwell, Elegy to the Spanish Republic No. 110, 1971.

The elements in repetition are the shape and color of black bars and ovals. To me, the piece sits more on the contrast/chaos side because to me it seems like the ovals are actually sphere's being pressed and squished between the bars. The bars and ovals being black/dark also seem to make it feel more oppressive. This, along with the jagged outlines of these shapes, as well as the background, give the piece a dynamic tension which I associate more with chaos. The repetition of bars and ovals reinforces these feeling, and the fact that there are multiples of these objects allows for the differences between them like the varying jagged edges and sizes, which adds to the chaotic feeling.


 Robert Motherwell, untitled, 1964.

The elements in repetition are both the positive and negative space created by the "teeth" of the objects. This object sits in the middle of the spectrum, IMO, I think this is because there aren't too many colors in the piece, and none that really strike me violently, yet they aren't mellow either. It also helps that I can't help but use closure and see the face (in profile) of some creature in it (with the black ring as the eye and the parts in repetition as the teeth which are attached to the jaws). If I didn't automatically do this closure in my head I think it would come off as more chaotic and contrasty. The parts in repetition of this piece adds to the closure effect, because if they weren't in repetition I wouldn't see them as a row of gnarly gnashing teeth, and probably thus wouldn't see the creature head at all. I think the area in repetition is also a big focal point of the piece, probably second to the "eye", but it nevertheless makes the piece much more interesting, probably because it is the point where the white shapes seem to meet or separate.


 William Scott, Berlin Blues 1, 1965.

The elements in repetition are different shapes unified by a soothing blue color. The shapes are also similar in their orientation, they all have smooth edges, and their spacing is relatively equal. These characteristics make me place the piece more towards the harmonious side of the spectrum. Since the objects in repetition are similar in all ways except shape, it makes me focus on the differences of shape between the objects, and I believe that is what makes the piece interesting. It also helps that the background is plain, in regards to adding focus to the shapes.
William Scott, Composition with blue and black, 1959.

The elements in repetition are the vaguely circular shapes/rings and the sort of aqua colors of them. The color of this piece makes it seem more soothing and harmonious, but the sketchiness and variety of shapes, as well as their placement, push it just a bit more towards the chaotic side of the spectrum, but not much. The effect of repetition is similar to the effect in the piece above this, as the solid background makes me focus more on the differences between the somewhat similar shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment